ARVE Error: Mode: lazyload not available (ARVE Pro not active?), switching to normal mode
Early this morning at midnight, Hōkūleʻa and Hikianalia picked up the tow to ʻUpolu point. We headed down the Hāmākua coast line, which many of the crew have never seen in their lives. The forecast said today would be a calmer day, but as we headed towards Waipiʻo, our leadership decided that it was too rough for the canoes. If we had continued on our course at the speed of 4 knots, we would have been traveling through Laupāhoehoe in the dark. Everyone understood that the most important thing in this voyage is safety, for the canoes and crew alike. We turned around and returned to Kawaihae to wait for better weather. In doing so, we practiced several techniques like moving weight around the canoe and testing different sails. Uncle Maka, Keahi, and Nainoa were incredible mentors today to many of us who’ve never crossed the ʻAlenuihāhā or the North side of Hawaiʻi Island. Nainoa says, “the winds will tell you when to go,” so we wait until the weather forecast shows a break in the strong trade winds.