Hōkūleʻa and Hikianalia have been in Kawaihae for four days waiting out rough conditions as they travel to Hilo for the ceremony to kick off the Worldwide Voyage. According to PVS President and Master Navigator Nainoa Thompson:
“The winds are still marginal, but it is worth a try. We are going to plan and prepare to leave around midnight tonight and at least attempt the trip to Hilo. If the weather is good enough to make it, we will go to Hilo, and if not, we will go back to Kawaihae. I do think it is worth the attempt.”
The caution and patience being exhibited in this instance exhibit the years of experience and knowledge that PVS has in sailing traditional voyaging canoes. Although schedules and events are planned in Hilo, safety is always top of mind and drives all decision-making.
Stay connected on our blog, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram for updates, photos, and videos on the latest of Hōkūleʻa and Hikianalia.